The political parties of Somaliland reached a consensus Agreement regarding the forthcoming Presidential election
The arbitration committee of Somaliland between opposition parties and the government has made their conclusions ( decisions) public Thursday 30 April, 2009.
Both opposition party leaders has accepted the verdict. Also, the spokesperson for the Somaliland presidency has confirmed acceptance of the Government.
A summary of the Agreement is as follows.
- The extension of the term of the president and vice president to October 29, 2009 according to the decision of the House of Elders
- Sept 27, date of election according to the decision of NEC
- If election could not take place on 27th Sept, House of Elders MUST no make any more extension and this has to be ratified by the parliament
- The final list of the Voter registration should be completed before 27th July 2009
- The stakeholders ( president, House of Elders, opposition parties) has to decide whether to change, add new members, or leave as they are for the National Electoral Commission ( NEC)
- Public media and public resources should not serve ONLY one party.
- Independent monitoring commissions with vested powers should observe item 6
- Opposition parties has to exercise constitutional rights including peaceful demonstration
- The presidential and their running mates has immunity and must be accorded that right and respect.
- Code of conduct should be finalized before election
Somaliland Mission Sweden